Saturday, July 24, 2010

Day Off!

Happy Saturday to you!  This is my fourth day off for the month and I'm enjoying the heck out of it!  I went to bed last night at 9:30 and woke up this morning at 9.  During that time I dreamed that I had another baby....who I delivered all by myself.  And then somehow I ended up in a canoe.  And then a strip club.  Freud would love me.  Last week I had a dream that I could palpate my own pancreas.

Enough about my freaky-weird dreams.  Things at the hospital have been good.  I kinda-sorta feel like I'm getting the hang of things.  For one, I've learned that when I go to the bathroom, I should leave my pager elsewhere.  I've also learned not to pimp the med students.  They seem to know more than me.  But my coat is longer, so neener neener neener. 

Oh, and my journalism degree is finally benefiting me.  I've received several complements from my fellow and my attending on how nicely written my consult notes are.  This really says nothing about how knowledgeable I am about Factor IX deficiency or thrombophilia, but how well I can feverishly scribble down what my attending rattles off and translate that into a note.  It's been suggested that I write better than I speak.  I'm not sure what to make of that.  Maybe I'll stop speaking. 

And of utmost importance.....I finally got PAID!  They don't pay the residents very much.  One of these days I'll calculate the hourly rate.  I anticipate it will be in the neighborhood of $3.00ish/hour.  But regardless of how measly my salary is, and how utterly and hopelessly and hilariously in debt I am, when your family income doubles all of a sudden, you can't help but feel like you're RICH!  I've warned Danny that I might go a little "willy nilly" and take myself on a shopping spree (don't tell Dave Ramsey!).  I told Louisa that we can start shopping at Gap Kids and Janie and Jack.  She didn't seem to care.  At the time of this conversation, she was wearing a yellow and white polka-dot halter top and pink and white stripped terry-cloth shorts....happy as a clam.  Okay, so I won't go too willy nilly with my newly found riches, but at least I can buy myself some new underwear so I won't have to do laundry so often.

Alright, I'm going to get back to my day off.  Have a lovely weekend!

-Dr. B 

1 comment:

heather{land} said...

yay for a day off :)

p.s. I am thinking I must have found your blog via the Pioneer Woman (maybe on a comment thread?), not sure though -- I tend to jump from blog to blog and link to link!