Thursday, July 29, 2010

Differential Diagnosis Part 2

During my Hematology rotation, I became convinced that I had leukemia, or some other horrible cancer that had metastasized to my bones. My symptoms were: weight loss, night sweats and leg pain.  I had several conversations with my senior resident trying to convince him that I needed a bone marrow biopsy.  He thought I was crazy. 

After analyzing the situation further, it was determined that my symptoms were residency induced.  The leg pain was secondary to being on my feet all day, and being dumb enough to wear heels.  The night sweats were caused by my crazy stress and anxiety.  They got better when Danny started turning the fan on at night.  And the weight loss....well, I guess that's expected when you have no time to eat.

So....I feel better now. And I have all day tomorrow to try to re-gain the weight I've lost.  And my senior resident was right.  

1 comment:

Cindy Roach said...

You totally crack me up! I am seeing a mini series in your future...who would play Dr. Bartlett??