Saturday, July 16, 2011

Assumptions....

Several years ago, I promised my BFF Rachel that I would buy her a fancy pair of designer shoes for her wedding.  At that time, she was single and I made this promise based on two assumptions.  Either 1. Rachel would never get married, or 2. I would be extremely wealthy by the time she finally did meet that special someone. 

Well, turns out that Rachel met, fell in love with, and is now engaged to a wonderful guy.  I've learned to look past the fact that he went to MU, and focus on the things that we have in common; a mutual admiration of station wagons (be it Volvo or Subaru), and old plaid-lined Lands End jackets.  We have a strong foundation.  And of course, we both love and adore Rachel.

So....Yay!  Happy!  Fun!  Rachel and Travis are getting married!

And I am left scratching my head as to how assumption number 2 hasn't quite panned out.  Yeah, yeah...I'm a doctor....but I'm so far in debt from my medical school loans that the only thing I can afford to be is a doctor.  And the last time I calculated my hourly wage, it was approximately $4.00.   

None the less, a promise is a promise.

So Rachel and I did lots of internet searching for fancy bridal shoes.  We looked online at Bergdorf, Nordstrom, Neiman Marcus and Saks 5th Avenue.  We both fell in love with a pair of Manolos, only to be crushed when we found out that the $158.00 price was the price for the knock-offs and the real Manolos were closer to $600.00.  Gah....I still weep.

Then Rachel finally narrowed down her favorites to a group of about 4 and let me make the final decision,  which was a bit nerve-racking.  The choice of wedding shoes is not to be taken lightly! 

So I picked out a pretty little pair of Vera Wang slippers and my promise from years ago was kept. 

And if I start looking thinner over the next few months, its likely that I can't afford food. 

Cheers to Rachel and Travis....and Vera!

Oh....and if you happen to be attending the blessed event, please take a moment to admire the shoes.  I would appreciate it.  Thank you. 

2 comments:

Cindy Roach said...

That is hilarious! Back in the day (probably before you were born), my roommate and I went in together and bought a VCR. Keep in mind, a good one was $1000 and we financed it! Our deal was however got married first, got to keep it. Given that you know my marital status, you can imagine how the story ends!

Anonymous said...

Dang Debt to Income ratio! :) I promise to stick my feet out all the time at the wedding so everyone can admire the shoes! A Tiffany pen for some Vera Wang shoes seems like a fair trade after some inflation is figured in!
Rachel
aka the future Bride w/Amazing shoes!!