Saturday, August 15, 2009

More inappropriateness from random strangers

Today I decided that the nursery was not quite decorated enough. I wanted to go down to the Rivermarket Antique Mall, but decided to go to Mission Road Antique mall instead. We need a few more things on the walls, but we really need to wait until we get our rocker back from the upholstery place (ah, that's a whole different soap opera - sans Luis Lopez Fitzgerald) so we can see what looks best where. So I was wandering around the Antique Mall and found a couple of fun things. I didn't buy anything, but I got some ideas. I found a super-old copy of Jo's Boys by Louisa May Alcott. It was a really pretty book, so I might have to go back and get it. More so for decoration than anything. The previous owner had written in the front cover in the 1960's, but I think the book itself was from the 20's.

So, back to my original story, which I never really started....ahem....

I was wandering through the mall and there was a guy sitting in a chair looking at some antique stuff....I think....I mean, we were in an antique mall, after all.

Guy looks up as I walk by, eyes almost pop out of his head as he sees my belly....

Guy: Twins?
Me: Nope, just one.
Guy: OUCH!!!
Me: (chokes on spit)
Seriously? "OUCH?" At best this was a lame attempt at empathy, at worst a sinister way of messing with my fragile mind, causing me to dwell, for the rest of the day, on the "OUCH" that is the inevitable end to the last 9 months, making me rethink my choice to procreate in the first place. Evil man.
In a redeeming turn for mankind, I ran into some super-sweet ladies at the victorian shop next to Mission Road Antique Mall. At first, I was annoyed with them because they were clearly staring at my belly, but then they started asking (appropriate) questions about the baby and were sincerely thrilled for me. The lady working at the store even got a little teary-eyed. Okay, kind of weird, but still sweet.
And I'm not actually rethinking the choice to procreate, I'm just really going to need some combination of an opioid and local anesthesia. And I won't grope the anesthesiologist.....Rachel!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You only didn't grope because she was female! What is the point of soap/life without Luis Lopez Fitzgerald?
:) Rach