Sunday, February 7, 2010

Adventures in Iola

Before we can graduate from medical school and be real doctors, we are required to spend a month in rural Kansas working with a small town doc.  My first year of medical school, I was paired with a third year family medicine resident as my preceptor.  She was just about the coolest girl ever and luckily, she's now a small town doc and I get to hang out with her during February to fulfil my rural requirement.  That's the good part, the bad part is that I have to leave my sweet little peanut and my super handsome husband at home for several days and nights.

Last week was my first week in Iola.  I drove the 100 miles down 169 in the dark on Monday night and pulled up to the 1890's Victorian that my preceptor and her family live in at 9:00.  Their home used to be a bed and breakfast so I kind of feel like I'm on vacation when I'm in my room.  Sometimes I say, "I'm going to retire to my quarters."  Because that just fits the feel of the house.  Actually I don't say that, but I think it to myself.  Then I giggle a little bit because I'm such a tool.

Anyhow, my room is large and has tall ceilings and lots of tall windows.  I sleep in a big 4 poster bed (requiring a stool or a running leap to get into it) with a heated blanket.  By the windows is a jacuzzi tub with lots of bath products for my sampling.  If you've ever lived with me (Rachel and Danny) you'll know that I rarely take showers, but usually opt for a nice hot bath.  Standing requires too much energy.  Why would you stand to do anything when you could lie down?  If I could lie down and drive I would do it.  Lie down and cook? That would be just dandy!  The only exercise I do is sit-ups....you guessed it, because you can lie down!  Anyways...Danny thinks that baths are inadequate for proper cleansing as you just "lie in your own filth."  But I disagree.  Unless you've been out rolling in the mud, a bath is a perfect way to bathe.

So, back to my room.  It's just all around wonderful.  The bed is ubber-comfortable.  There are lovely original antique touches here and there - the ornate old doorknobs, the embellished white radiator in the corner, the bowed stained glass windows in the bathroom.  OMG, I forgot my camera!  I must take pictures before this month is over!  Here's a picture of the house that I found on the internet:

 
Pretty sweet huh?
Last week was fun, as they let me jump right in and get my hands dirty, literally with a c-section on my first day and a mole removal my second day.  One of the doctors handed me a scalpel and let me go to town on the mole.  The patient was remarkably calm.  So was I until I looked away for a second to find my sutures, looked back and saw blood oozing down the patient's arm all over the sweater that was lying at his side.  Oops.  Luckily hydrogen peroxide takes blood out nicely.  

I'm having a good time down here, but man is it hard to leave my sweet Weezy girl at home!  I left early today to miss the snow storm that was forecasted.  The only thing worse than a two lane highway at night is a two lane highway at night in the snow.  So I'm here, safe and sound, but missing my little peanut.  

More to come....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hopefully you are putting your things away in this room, unlike ours at Corbin! :)
Rach