Sunday, June 13, 2010

Girls Weekend, WOO HOO! (alternate title: 7 old hags get out of town for the weekend)

I really want to blog about our trip to Colorado, but I haven't had time to edit my pictures yet, so you'll just have to wait.  One of the reasons I haven't had time to edit pictures is because I had the pleasure of spending a few days at the lake with six of my bestest girl friends!  So you get to hear about that. 

Ready?

Here goes.

Myself, the Socialite, the Supermodel, the Artist/Preacher's Wife, the CRNA, the Coach/Preacher's Wife and the Shopper headed out last Thursday for a weekend of fun and sun to celebrate the year of our 30th birthdays.  And to escape all responsibility.  And husbands.  And children.

We stayed for FREE in a beautiful condo overlooking the lake.  There are perks to being friends with a preacher's wife!  After we rolled into town, we made a quick trip to Wal Mart where we bought the necessities....wine and bacon.  And a few other things, I think.  But none as necessary as wine and bacon.

We got settled into the condo late in the evening and kicked back with some fantastic drinks that the Socialite whipped up.  They weren't as strong as they could have been because the Shopper didn't like vodka.  Blah blah blah...

We slept in a bit on Friday morning, because that's what you do when you don't have a husband and a baby making demands of you.  The sky looked stormy, so we decided to go shopping, because that's what you do when you don't have a husband and baby making demands of you. 

First stop:  the outlet mall.  Ahhhh, outlet stores as far as the eye could see.  I splurged a bit and bought some new shirts for myself.  Danny bought a new Northface jacket in Aspen, so I reckoned that I was entitled to a little money spending of my own.  That and I needed more responsible looking clothes to make my patients believe that I am a competent doctor.  Right?  Right!  Nothing says "trust me, I'm a doctor" like a T-shirt that says "Trust me, I'm a doctor."  Oh, and a closet full of cardigans.  And glasses.  I will be wearing my glasses each and every day, starting July first.   

So we shopped forever at the outlet mall until one of the preacher's wives became a shoplifter.  Then we decided it was time to hit the road.  Before lightning struck her down.  Our next stop was MEGA MARSHALLS.  I could have wandered around that place for all of eternity.  Maybe that's what heaven is like....my heaven anyhow.  Danny would argue that it is the other place.  Anyhow, other than the fact that the store closes at night, I couldn't come up with any good reason to ever leave.  They have clothes, furniture, bedding, towels, food.....and cute little office organizers so when Danny forwards my mail to MEGA MARSHALLS, I will have somewhere to keep it.  Neatly.  Finally the Socialite decided that she'd had enough of MEGA MARSHALLS and demanded that we leave.  The Socialite sorta runs the show.  I generally do what she says.  That's why we've been best friends for so long.  Mutual respect. 

That night we got dressed up, the Supermodel teased our hair, we put on too much eyeliner and went out for mexican food.  We laughed because we couldn't figure out who we were dressing up for, but we went ahead and did it. 

On the way back to the condo we stopped to take ridiculous pictures in front of a miniature golf course with a huge pirate sign.  They didn't turn out very well, but here's one of them.  In the name of modesty and decency and potential legal action, I will refrain from posting a picture of one of the preacher's wives mooning the camera.  I won't say which one it was, but it was the same one who shoplifted earlier in the day. 
This is me and the CRNA.  Respectable health care professionals. 

Then we went back to the condo for some wine and girl talk.  Which turned into cookie-eating and inappropriate picture-drawing.  Again, mostly from the Preacher's Wife. 

The next morning we got up and ate some more bacon.  The following conversation took place during the cleaning up of said bacon:

Shopper:  What should I do with this bacon grease?

CRNA:  My mom always put it in a can.

Shopper:  Lets turn the water on really hot and put it down the drain.

Socialite:  My mom always put it in a can.

CRNA:  Just make sure the water is REALLY hot.

Shopper:  You don't think it will catch on fire, do you?

Socialite:  No.

CRNA:  Well, if you throw a match on it.

 - THE END - 

After the bacon grease was disposed of, we went to the pool to get some sun.  I got fried after about 45 minutes and caught endless slack because I didn't put any sun screen on.  Apparently when you become a doctor, people expect you to start eating vegetables and wearing SPF 50. 

So that was our weekend in a nutshell.  Oh, heck.  I left out the part about the Supermodel and the Goober-burger.  Probably for the best. 

Here are a few pictures:

On the road again....(they made me sit in the back).

Preacher's Wife #1, Socialite, Shopper, CRNA, Supermodel, Me and Preacher's Wife #2 at lunch.

Me with Supermodel and Socialite.  (Re: hat - my ode to Matthew McConaughey)

Ready for our night on the town.  First time my hair had seen a curling iron in years!

Supermodel and Shopper - work it....OWN IT!

Shopper's not-so-graceful enterance into the car.  Preacher's Wife wondering how she ever ended up friends with hooligans like Shopper.  Contemplating existence.  And another glass of wine.

Lake of the Ozarks Barbie

This was the cute little place we had lunch.  The picture was super-cute, except for my heinous appearance.  That's why I'm all scribbled out. 


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Give me a break. You people would have stayed at Mega Marshall's all day! 50 plus mins was PLENTY of time!
Rachel, aka the Socialite