Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Helpin' a brother out

A few days ago, my friend Kelly (who volunteers at a dog shelter) sent me a message about a new dog who had been dropped off at the facility.  His owners were moving and their new place would not allow pets.  So they took him to the shelter.  But the shelter just happened to be a "kill shelter."  Meaning that the dogs who are there too long are put to sleep to make room for more dogs. 



Because I am a lover of all things furry and slobbery, I immediately posted a link to "Midnight's" profile on my facebook page.  Several people commented, but my sweet friend Molly, who lives in Omaha, was genuinely interested.  After much texting and calling among Molly, Kelly and myself, Molly decided that she would be Midnight's new mommy. 





So today, Danny and I drove over to Half Way Home Pet Adoptions to pick up Midnight, the beautiful little black Cocker Spaniel, who was to be renamed "Kansas."  We brought him back to our house for a few hours and he got to spend some good, quality time with our pups while Molly was driving in from Nebraska. When Molly and her boyfriend got to our house, I had a hard time letting him go.  That sweet face just melts me.  As they were driving off, I yelled to Molly, "If you decide you don't want him, I'll take him!"  Somehow, I don't think that's going to be an issue. 



Hello there.  I don't know who you people are, but I have a feeling things are looking up!


The Three Amigos

I'm so glad that Kansas has found a forever home and that he did not have to die.  But it makes me sad to think about all of the helpless pups at shelters across the country who will eventually be put down because nobody comes to take them home.  If you are thinking about getting a dog, please consider rescuing a dog from one of these facilities.  Charlie, Mabel and Kansas would appreciate it.  

Now off to the shower....I smell like the pound!

1 comment:

kelly said...

Christi- Thank you for helping find a new momma for this sweet little boy. Not only did you help save him, but you also helped another dog by making space available for them to "live" for awhile..... I appreciate your comment about going to a kill facility to find a "kid". So many are against kill shelters, and will not adopt from one, thinking that this is a "good" thing. Well, as long as people are against kill shelters, the dogs will continue to die there. The dogs in a no kill shelter are not any better than the ones who happen to have the misfortune of being in a kill facilty. I cry everyday I go to Halfway Home... I do not make a spectical of myself, but I always find myself crouched on the ground , petting some sweet tail wagger, with tears welling in my eyes. It is so hard, and for so long I thought I could not volunteer at such a place- even though I adopted my Charlie Bear, and his new older brother Cash there. I didnt think I could handle it, that I wasnt strong enough. Then, like a smack in the face, I realized what a hypocrite I was being. How can I adopt from this shelter, tell others to please consider adopting from there, yet turn my back on the dogs sitting in those cages that I could not physically bring home with me? Those dogs NEEDED me- so I took a deep breath, and dove on in.

Now, I do not buy into the "pet overpopulation" bull crap that some promote. I am an avid believer in the No Kill Movement. ( look up Nathan winograd-he is the leader of the movement) No kill is possible- but it takes all sides working together, and a lot of hard work. While I am still wet behind the ears, I am going to do everything in my power to turn the metro into a No Kill facilty..... will it be hard? Sure. Will I feel like giving up sometimes? Of course. Will I? Nope-because a dog's life being saved is the ultimate gift. Thanks for helping me on my quest. We should get our Charlies together sometime for a play date!!!