Saturday, March 10, 2012

A flaw in marketing judgement


I appreciate fashion as much as the next girl....well, if said next girl also prefers to live in sweats and t-shirts.  I became a doctor purely so I could wear scrubs to work....just kidding.  Kind of. 

Anyhow.  I received this flier in the mail yesterday for the "designer denim event" at a pea in the pod.  They graciously included coupons for $20.00 off of selected designer jeans.  Fantastic!  Too bad the jeans are all uber-trendy and originally priced at over $200.00.  A few reasons why this is ridiculous:
1) There are starving children in Africa
2) I just bought a cute pair of maternity jeans at Target for $30.00
3) These are jeans that I could only wear for 5 months....or more depending on how many babies I have.  Okay, and maybe at Thanksgiving. 
4) Lets say I have one day off per week for 5 months.  That's 20 days.  That's at least $10.00 per wear.  Compare that to the Target jeans....just a little math test for you.  I'm all about preventing Alzheimer's. 
5) I don't care how fancy the jeans are, they don't make me look any thinner or less pregnant.


Which leads me to the picture on the flier:
(My apologies....I couldn't figure out how to change the orientation.  
Just cock your head.  Then call my dad to fix your neck.)

Where the frick did they find this emaciated pregnant chick?  She's probably not even pregnant.  They probably found some random model with a BMI of 12 and stuck a pillow under her shirt.  Um....does this make me A) Want to buy your stupid, overpriced skinny jeans?  Or B) Want to throw on my favorite granny-panties (thanks mom), Danny's sweat pants, an XL t-shirt with stains in the pits and climb into bed with a tub of ice cream and cry?  Yes...choice B.  And the shoes?  My pregnant ankles would swell up like sausages within 5 minutes of trying to wear those. 

So....pea in the pod....you need to fire your stupid marketing department, which is likely run by men and start the frick over.  Frick frick frick!  

And if you were wondering how to thoroughly infuriate a pregnant chick....well, now you know. 

1 comment:

Suzy pepper said...

You're pregnant!? Congratulations! So happy for you! Louisa is going to be a wonderful big sis!