Sunday, March 18, 2012

Self Actualization

I grew up an insane KU basketball fan.  I knew all of the players (full names, hometowns, interests), had the press guides memorized each year and would often stalk players for autographs after the games.  Along with this love for KU came the inevitable and required intense disdain for Missouri. This lifestyle continued until medical school/residency/parenthood when there was simply no extraneous time for the luxury of watching college basketball.  During the last few years, I've grown in maturity and have actually decided that, alas, I don't hate Missouri.  What did they ever do to me?  Why should I dislike someone just because they live across State Line from me?  Just because someone went to an institution of higher learning in Colombia does not make them a bad person.  In fact, I have several wonderful friends who went to MU. 

So I was quite frustrated when I watched the pre-game coverage of Thursday's NCAA Tournament games.  Multiple KU and MU fans were interviewed and all of them expressed their hatred for each other.  How sad, I thought to myself....that grown adults act in such a childish wayWhy can't we all just love each other and appreciate and respect each other in spite of our differences?

A few hours later, I turned the radio on in my car, just in time for the end of the MU/Norfolk State game.  As the clock ran out and the commentator announced that MU had dropped to the number 15 seed....








YESSSSSS!  YESSSSSS!  

(Fist pump - fist pump - fist pump!) 

SUCK IT YOU DIRTY TIGERS!!! 

WHAT'S UP NOW?  HUH?  HUH? 

(More fist pumping!  And my face probably looked like this guy's....)

















I guess my journey to self actualization and ultimate maturity hit a little speed bump.  But good-golly, there's a part of my soul that rejoices when those punks go down!

Rock Chalk!



1 comment:

Michelle Wingerd said...

That was great!!!