Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Red Suit

I tend to gravitate toward the color red for important life events. I wore a sequined red gown for Danny and my first prom, a red suit for my med school interview, the same red suit for my Pop's funeral, and yesterday I bought a new red suit for my residency interviews - Red Suit 2.0, if you will. I would have worn red suit 1.0, but for some reason (read: recent birth of child, can't stop eating corn bread cake slathered in honey butter) the skirt is a little snug. I did try on a black and white skirt/jacket combo for my interviews, but the combination of shoulder pads and a shiny pleather belt didn't really scream "PROFESSIONAL!"

So, about the interviews. If you've spent much time in an academic medical center during the fall/winter months, you've probably seen herds of people, all dressed in black, walking purposefully through the hospital. You probably wondered where the funeral was, but these people were actually 4th year medical students interviewing for residency positions. I guess you could call intern year the funeral???? These people can be distinguished from similarly fashioned pharmaceutical reps, because on average, the drug reps are way more blond, thin and big boosmed. Oh, and they have the little rolley suitcase things full of pens and other fun toys that they use to entice unsuspecting doctors to prescribe their drugs. Anyhow, my interview at KU is Friday. From what I understand, it should be pretty laid back, and unlike med school interviews, this time, the program is trying to impress the interviewee, instead of the other way around. So, I expect all to go well, barring any unforeseen, spontaneous leakage of milk from the breasts.....canNOT forget the boob pads!

Okay, so that's all I've got for now. Going to try to be better about blogging over the next few weeks. But before I go, a random thought: Pizza seems much less fattening when it is cold because the grease has solidified....and thus....seems much less greasy.

2 comments:

sanya said...

good luck!!

Anonymous said...

You look good in red (always figured that was half the reason you went to North) :) I still can't believe the dinner was at Baja. What is wrong with these people? Wonder if KU would hire me to plan their events better. KC has much better places to impress out of state students than Baja!
Rach